1. Be careful what you think. Thoughts direct us, influence our choices, color our mood. Try to see some good in the day, in yourself and in others. Think of things and people you love.
2. Smile. I know that sounds like a corny bromide but it actually helps keep us cheerful. Give a friendly smile to four or five unexpected recipients today. No words, just a genuine smile.
3. Focus on what motivates you. Stay away from spending all day mentally consumed with duties, routines, obligations. Get in touch with what really fuels your energy. Follow today whatever gives you a sense of eagerness.
4. Reach out. If you are going through a really tough time, call or have lunch with a trusted friend. Talk about what’s bothering you. They don’t need to solve your problems. Just having someone to listen always helps.
5. Be good to yourself. When we’re discouraged we often feel a lack of confidence. Sometimes we dabble in self loathing and decide if we were better we’d be able to handle all of this. Or we wouldn’t even be having these problems. None of that today. Extend some grace to yourself. Treat yourself to something you enjoy. There’s no such thing as selfishness when you’re feeling a bit down.
© 2011 Timothy Moody